top of page

Gallery

Site 1 - William Leroy Talbott VFW Post # 8773

A group of Black World War II veterans formed the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 8773 in 1946 after they struggled to actively participate in Post functions of the local VFW due to discrimination by the white veterans. Although the VFW was not technically segregated, local Black veterans were not treated as equals and given the rights and respect that the VFW stood for. Determined not to be denied access, a brave group of Black veterans contacted the National Headquarters and requested to open their own post.

 

VFW Post 8773 was chartered on November 26, 1946.

Watch the unveiling ceremony here.

IMG_E0244.JPG
Image by Huma Kabakci

Site 2- Ward Chapel

More information coming soon

Site 3- Rathert Field

More information coming soon

IMG_0878_edited.jpg
IMG_1158b.JPG

Site 4- Church of God/ New Church of the Living God

View the two part ceremony here and here

bottom of page